mr. Wolf wrote on Twitter that he “complied with all data retention laws and returned all my equipment fully charged to the department. Point. DHS has all my texts, emails, call logs, schedules, etc. Any issues with missing data should be addressed to DHS.
Since then, lawmakers have asked questions not only about the missing text messages, but also why Mr. Cuffari did not warn Congress or take steps to retrieve them sooner.
The commissions received an email from Thomas Kait, a deputy inspector general, on July 27, 2021, stating that “we are no longer requesting phone records and text messages from the USSS regarding the events of January 6.” He used the abbreviation for the American Secret Service.
The lawmakers also said their panels had gathered evidence that it wasn’t until four months later, on December 3, 2021, that the inspector general finally submitted a new request to the department for certain text messages.
Mr Kait, they said, removed key language from a February 2022 memo highlighting the importance of the text messages and criticizing the department for failing to comply with the December 3, 2021 request.