February 4, 2023

House goes up in flames during tense three-hour siege – with man, 29, refusing to leave home

  • Police went into hiding at a house in Hamilton, Newcastle, NSW at 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday
  • Man, 29, refused to leave home and led to three-hour siege
  • A fire broke out and police brought in riot police officers and an armored truck
  • Siege ended after three hours, leading to a police raid on the house and another nearby

A fire started Tuesday in a house under siege during a tense three-hour confrontation with serious crime detectives in Newcastle, NSW.

Police brought in an armored vehicle and riot police specialists after a man barricaded himself at a home in Everton St, Hamilton.

Police had arrived at 7:30 a.m. in connection with an ongoing investigation, but the man reportedly refused to leave the house, shutting down the grandstand.

A fire started Tuesday in a house under siege during a tense three-hour showdown with serious crime squad detectives in Newcastle, NSW.

The fire service was called after a small fire broke out, but it was quickly extinguished without incident, police said.

Negotiation experts were called in to talk to the man, with the conversations initially being conducted over loudspeakers, according to locals.

The man was eventually arrested at 10:30 a.m., leading to police raids on that house and another address in nearby Mayfield.

A spokesman said the man was taken to Newcastle Police Station, where he is currently assisting police with investigations.

See also  Smartphone trick transforms your living room into a FILM SET

“When the police arrived, a 29-year-old man refused to leave the house and a police operation started,” the spokesman said.

Crews from Fire and Rescue NSW were on hand after reports of a small fire in the house but were not needed.

Specialized agents, including negotiators, arrived on the scene before the man was arrested without incident around 10:30 a.m.

“A search warrant was then issued at Hamilton’s home, and a second at a home in Scholey Street, Mayfield, where officers seized a number of items for further forensic examination.”